Zoning Officer/Building Code Official:
Hours for Zoning Officer & Building Code Official: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Mon-Thu and 8:00 AM – Noon, Fri
Permits are required for ALL structures in the Township. The State Construction Code is also enforced in the Township. Check your deed restrictions and with your homeowners association before applying for a permit.
A Zoning Permit is issued for compliance with the Township’s zoning ordinance. A Construction Code Permit is issued for compliance to the regulations of the statewide Uniform Construction Code. Both permits will be required for many construction projects. An authorized Zoning Permit must be attached to all Construction Code Permit applications. Permit applications are available at the Township Office located at 190 Rock Point Road, Marietta, PA 17547.
Applying For Permits
- Complete a Zoning Permit Application and submit it to the Township Office. Please attach all supporting documents with the application such as site plans, drawings and photos that may be required. Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
- The Zoning Officer will review the application and check for compliance with the Township’s Zoning Ordinance. The Zoning Officer issues the Zoning Permit for an approved application. A permit fee is required for the permit based on a fee schedule.
- Depending on the type of proposed project, a Construction Code Permit may be required following the issuance of a Zoning Permit. A Construction Code Permit is issued for compliance with the regulations of the statewide Uniform Construction Code. It will be indicated on the Zoning Permit whether or not a Construction Permit is required prior to construction. If required, you may not begin construction until a Construction Code Permit is issued.
- If a Construction Code Permit is required, complete a Construction Code Permit Application and submit it to the Township Office with the non-refundable $50.00 application fee. The Zoning Permit must be attached to the Construction Code Permit application at the time of submission. Please include three (3) copies of all supporting documents such as site plans and drawings. Incomplete applications will be returned.
- Following review by the Township Building Code Official, the Construction Code Permit Application will be forwarded to Commonwealth Code Inspection Services, Inc. of Manheim for processing. Their phone number is 1-800-732-0043. Commonwealth Code Inspection Services, Inc. will review the application and approve or deny the Construction permit. Commonwealth Code Inspection Services, Inc., will invoice the applicant for any plan review or inspection fees necessary for the construction project.
- Following the issuance of a Construction Code Permit, it is the responsibility of the applicant to contact Commonwealth Code Inspection Services, Inc. to schedule inspections. Following final inspection approval, Commonwealth Code Inspection Services, Inc. will notify the Township Building Code Official of project completion. Before the required Certificate of Occupancy for the construction project can be issued, payment for plan review and inspection fees must be received by Commonwealth.
- The Building Code Official issues the Certificate of Occupancy when all inspections, reviews and fee payments are complete.
Zoning Ordinance Complaints
Chapter 27, Part 11, Section 1102. Duties and responsibilities of Zoning Officer, states the following:
The Zoning Officer shall administer this Chapter in accordance with its literal terms, and shall not have the power to permit any construction or any use or change of use which does not conform to this Chapter.
In addition, Chapter 27, Part 11, Section 1102.C. addresses the procedure for complaints regarding violations of zoning regulations and reads as follows:
C. Complaints regarding violations. The Zoning Officer may, and, when in receipt of a signed written complaint stating fully the cause and basis thereof, shall, investigate alleged violations of this Chapter. If a signed written complaint is received, said investigation shall be completed within 15 days of receipt of said complaint. A written report of all investigations of this Chapter shall be prepared and filed by the Zoning Officer and a copy shall be sent to the Board of Supervisors.
In order to investigate, the person making the complaint must provide the address and / or tax parcel # of the property where the alleged violation is taking place. In addition, the person filing the complaint must sign the written complaint and provide a daytime contact telephone number where he/she can be reached, so the Township can verify this is actually the person making this specific complaint.